Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Longest Journey.

Haven't been posting for quite sometime now. I thought I would let you all enjoy a poem by Shelley that appears in E.M.Forster's "The Longest Journey". Its one of my favorites.

I never was attached to that great sect
Whose doctrine is that each one should select
out of the world a mistress and a friend
And all the rest, though fair and wise, commend
to cold oblivion-though it is the code
of modern morals, and the beaten road
which these poor slaves with weary footsteps tread
who travel to their home amongst the dead
By the broad highway of the world-and so,
with one sad friend, perhaps a jealous foe,
The dreariest and the longest journey go.

-Shelley

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I removed my comment immediately because I accidentally put my password into it.
Thank-you for your posting. I love Shelley and was looking for that passage about the longest journey.
I'll put your site among my favourites.
Yours
Felix de Villiers