Saturday, April 21, 2012

De-rationale !

After I came back to settle in India, I started running into some logic defying elements of life here,


  1. I recently bought a Rs. 22k AC for my home. At the end of the installation (which was of course a big hassle in itself), the guy asks me "Sir 15 Amp ka Plug hai kya" (Do you have a 15 Amp plug ?). I was baffled. I asked "isn't there a  15 Amp plug point there ?". Apparently this guy was not looking for a plug point, he elaborated further that the Rs. 22k AC that I bought does not come with a plug (which costs Rs. 55 by the way). It just had a bare cable hanging out of it !! Is it to facilitate AC use for people who directly connect their equipments illegally to the electric line running in the neighborhood ? :D
  2. Getting back to the 15 Amp issue then, what is with these different amperage (also means different sized) plug points ? Where does one find the list of items that fit into 10 and those that fit in 15. Did you know that a top loading washing machine comes with 10 Amp plug and Front loading with 15 Amp ? So if your bathroom has 10 Amp, you better go for top-loading machine (or of course make a "jugaad") :D
  3. To get any loan in India (irrespective of what the Govt. says about making loans easily available to all), you need to prove that your net assets amount to more than the loan amount. Huh ! why would I want a loan then and why do you then call the loans by different names (car, education, personal loan etc.), when all that is being done is pretty much loaning against my assets !!
  4. To register a vehicle you need to provide address proof is what they will tell you. This address proof is a landline telephone bill or a gas bill typically. Now if you go to get either of these connections (gas or telephone) do you know what is the first thing they ask you for ? "Address Proof" :P
  5. And finally, What in the world is the reason for "self-attestation" ? :D Basically if you submit any document here, you need to take the original and a copy and then sign the copy yourself before handing it over. Of course I will sign it ! Since I want my work done I will sign on pretty much anything even if I don't believe my original document to be authentic !! 

No comments: